What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is intended as a short course aimed at continual professional development supporting the development of knowledge/understanding of electric vehicle charging design and installations. The qualification is built to reflect the specific requirements in relation to the design and quality assurance of largescale electric vehicle charging installations.
Learners undertaking this course may already be doing the associated roles from practicing operative capacity, with proven and demonstrable skills in working ass skilled and competent electricians and/or electrical installers. Validation of these skills and level of competence are reflected in the entry requirements for this qualification.
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is aimed at practicing electricians interested in understanding how to design and install the range of electric vehicle charging equipment and systems available. They aim to provide expert guidance to learners wishing to gain further knowledge and understanding of electric vehicle charging equipment design and installation.
What does the qualification cover?
The qualification covers how to redesign commercial premises and public spaces to accommodate electric vehicle chargers and the electrical supply systems. It also covers the safety requirements, maintenance strategy and technical assurance process for designing electric vehicle charging sites.
Learners will achieve the following mandatory unit:
302/304 Design and quality assurance of largescale electric vehicle charging installations.
This course consists of a short-answer and scenario-based question paper — 90 minutes, and an Design project — 3 hours
- IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation (4th edition)
- BS 7671:(2018)+A2(2022)
- IET Electric Vehicle Charging Installations at Filling Stations.
Learner entry requirements
This course is intended for practicing electricians as part of the assessment for this qualification, learners must hold one of the following:
- 2357 Level 3 NVQ Diploma in installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures, and the Environment)
- 2357 Level 3 NVQ Diploma in installing Electrotechnical Systems (Electrical Maintenance)
- 5357 Level 3 Electrotechnical qualification
- 2356 Level 3 NVQ in Electrotechnical Services Experienced Worker
- 2346 Level 3 Electrotechnical Experienced Worker Qualification
- Other Awarding Organisations equivalences will also be acceptable, or
- ECS Gold Card, JIB Electrician or Approved Electrician Card.
Other qualifications to consider are:
- HNC Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- 2396 City and Guilds Level 4 Award in the Design and Verification of Electrical Installations
The qualifications above must have been achieved no more than 5 years prior to starting this qualification or there must be evidence the candidate has remained current by completing relevant CPD such as City and Guilds 2382 or equivalent.