The 2396 is a theory based course
Who is this qualification for?
It is intended for personnel in electrical contracting companies who have responsibility for the quality of the design, specification, installation and testing process. It addresses, in particular, the implications of the Wiring Regulations for Electrical Installations.
How is this qualification delivered?
This course is delivered via a combination of online and classroom learning. Once registered, you'll be invited to attend a series of online sessions and to join our community discussions. These sessions run regularly, so you will have many opportunities to start the course, regardless of which date you enrol for.
We will run classroom sessions for 4 days from our Bracknell and Middlesbrough locations, which you are welcome to attend. These are intended to give you an opportunity to practice your design skills with the support of a classroom environment in preparation for your exam.
The design project can be assigned to you either at the beginning of the course or after you've attended the exam. You can discuss with us which you would prefer, and we will support you either way.
What does the qualification cover?
It allows candidates to learn, develop and practise the skills required designing and scoping electrical installations.
Course content includes:
- Statutory and non-statutory requirements relating to electrical installation design, construction management and verification
- The electrical installation design, construction and commissioning process
- BS 7671 requirements relating to electrical installation design
- Design and verification procedures for single and poly phase electrical installations
- Fundamental principles for the design and installation of associated protective systems relating to electrical installations
- Factors that affect choice of alternative energy sources and environmental technologies used within electrical installation design
You will need to prove competence in these subjects via a set assignment and a written exam.
This course consists of a dated written exam and an electrical installation design project.
- IET design guide
- BS 7671:(2018)+A2(2022)
- IET On-Site guide
- Guidance Note 3
Learner entry requirements
Before undertaking this qualification candidates should seriously consider undertaking the Level 3 Award in Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations (2391-50) and/or Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations (2391-51) as well as obtaining industry experience.
It is also strongly recommended that candidates have achieved the latest wiring regulations qualification where candidates have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the 18th edition in order to ensure they have every opportunity of achieving this qualification.